We had to put Penny down. I know my roommate. It's terrible. I hate it. It makes me sad to think about it. I had my mom watch her for a little while. I was feeling bad because it was getting hot and I couldn't really take her to the gym and I kept finding what I thought were fleas and after fighting and fighting I wanted to see if my mom could help me get rid of them. My mom laughed at me because it wasn't like she was infested. I would see one or two and freak out, bomb my apt, brush her hair and wash and wash her.
Long story short while at my parents she must've hurt her neck jumping on or off something. I came over one day and she was shaking like a leaf. My mom thought it was nerves from being around all the dogs again. I thought one of the bigger dogs had jumped on her and pulled a muscle. My mom took her to the vet and that's when we found out about the bulging disc. She was put on steroids and pain meds. I planned on keeping her with me so she could rest and get better. The first night she hardly slept and so did I. The next night I called my mom worried to death. She wouldn't relax. Penny was just sitting her little crate I bought panting and panting. Not able to leave her side I slept on the floor by her both nights. The next morning my mom took her to a holistic vet that did electro acupuncture. They kept her a few days to monitor her and my mom picked her up to watch her until her next appointment in two days with the holistic vet for her next session. My mom said the Valium was helping her with the pain. She said she took her out to use the bathroom and when she put her down on the grass she actually tried to run but her little back legs didn't work like she thought and they were kind of dragging behind her. At the vet getting prepped for her second session the vet noticed something wasn't right. Turns out she was starting to have kidney failure. She was no longer filtering her urine to her bladder. The vet informed my mom telling her this was a whole other bag of issues and even if they did surgery on the disc it's not definite that she would fully recover. After days and days of reading about her injury and how it's actually common in her breed, seeing pictures and videos of little french bulldogs in little wheelchairs because their surgeries did not fully correct the issue it hurt my heart to think Penny would have to live that way. My mom agreed and that Thursday, August 2, 2012 Penny went to heaven..
Here's to my buddy, who was there to cheer me up after being dumped, giving me a reason to get up on the weekends and giving me a sense of purpose.
No comments:
Post a Comment