Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Trail run of my life

Last year I went for a night run on Christmas day in hopes that I would get to spend some of my Christmas with my boyfriend when he came back in town. The next day after breakfast and our gift exchange he broke up with me. I know horrible right?! After that I decided to make this year my year of self discovery. I essentially became a yes man or yes girl mind you. I was up for anything and just about everything. Starting with an olympic weightlifting meet where I lifted the same weight as girls literally less than half my age. Talk about embarrassing. Then came various crossfit competitions here and there. A 6 mile mud run with the girls in Dallas complete with a epic night that will forever be a great laugh and probably will never be topped. And  2 half marathons, one being the memorial marathon here in OKC and the napa to sonoma half in well, Napa California where we had another epic night after the run that will not be forgotten. I celebrated my last year in my twenties and made a few new friends and deepened existing relationships with others. In a nutshell my year has been a pretty good one despite the ups and major downs I went through.

So I got back home around 3 and since we had our first snow and I had new running stuff I decided to test it all out. I jogged over to bluff creek and hit the trails. My morning jacket in my ears, my run keeper app tracking the mileage, snow beneath my feet, not a soul in sight. I had the biggest smile on my face dodging branches and tree roots, navigating the quick ups and downs. I took several pictures but only this one below was saved. It doesn't look like it but its a pretty steep hill. I had to climb down and then crawl back up it. When I got to the bottom I took this shot. After I'd gone through two albums I looked around.....I was lost!!! I started freaking out, I turned around and started running. The run keeper chimed in, 50 minutes has elapsed. Oh my gosh! The sun was starting to go down. I knew I had at least 15 minutes until it really got dark. I did not plan for this. I had no light on me. I prayed for God to keep the hobos away and to be with me on my run so I don't freak out. I made my way back to the section that's behind my apartments. I'd give anything just to run home right there but there's a river dividing me from my house. As I ran past I thought, if I was in a serious jam I would so cut through that river. Run keeper, 1 hour has elapsed....I'm freaking out man! My heart was racing. I started running, harder. Finally I got to a section of the trail I sorta knew. Just a few more minutes and I should be able to get out of this. Running running running and there, a clearing! I ran out, "Holy eff ( I said the real thing at the time) that was scary!" I pull out my earbud. "I'm never doing that again!" I started laughing at the thought of how scared I was getting lost in the mini woods on the corner of Hefner and Meridian. How odd. I send out a text that I did in fact get lost. All I wanted was a shower and a drink. I deserved it.

No comments: