Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dead sprint

This weekend was another installment of the OKC competitor series. F5 hosted the event and they had a really great turnout. Here's the WOD:

in 13 minutes you must complete:
400m run
50 box jumps
50 toes to bar
400m run

If you complete within the allotted time you proceed to the deadlift ladder.

This time we did not get to choose our heats so instead of getting and getting it over with I had to wait till the 4th heat. After watching the first two I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't make it to the deadlift ladder which I wasn't too hurt over. I didn't even think I would make it to the second run in the 13 minutes. As you'll find out I'm not the fastest at box jumps or running or toes to bar, blah blah blah, An easier comment would be that I'm fast at squats, mostly body weight squats and sometimes burpees. Everything else I'm super slow.

Back to my story on Sunday I somehow finished the toes to bar in time to make a mad dash out the door to complete the last 400m run. As I approached the 200m mark Whitney, a girl from Complete slowly passed me. I tried keeping up with her 10 meters before the turn around bucket I had to stop and walk. As Whitney started to pass me she told me to keep going that we we're almost there. I said OK as I always do and picked up my pace to a fast jog. As I turned the corner I could hear a faint yelling. Someone was yelling for Whitney to hurry. Then as I got closer I heard someone yell "Snook, hurrryyyy you have 40 seconds!!!" I picked up the pace. "Sprint Snooki, 20 seconds!!" Katie was so kind to yell at me that I could actually make this. Now with the door in sight there's no way I was gonna not make it. "Get in the door Snook, 10 seconds!" Kevin yelled.
I look up as I run past Katie telling me to hurry.
I step in the parking lot and Muse and Kevin are just outside the door. A little further and Mai is poking her head out the door yelling 5, 4, 3, 2.....1.....Just as I'm passing the door frame. I'd made it!! So happy then sad because now I have to battle the weight with my back in deadlifts.

As I make my way to the deadlift room I rip my headband and chucked it at Arobb. I bend over to catch my breath as Whitney is waiting for her first turn at the starting weight. Muse puts the weight belt around my waist as Tyler hands me my water bottle. For that few seconds I thought this is what it must feel like to be a professional athlete with assistants and a fan club. I gasp for air as Whitney drops the bar, she's out. I step up to the bar and wait for the signal.
I lift, wait for my judge to call a good lift and Muse and my judge yell at my head "DON'T DROP THE BAR" So i carefully set it down. that first lift was harder than I thought it'd be. On to the next. Lift. "DON'T DROP THE BAR". Set it down. Move on to the next. Lift. "DON'T DROP THE BAR". Set it down. Move on to the next. I get to the 4th bar, 243, 20lbs over my PR. I tell the judge, that's 20 lbs over my PR. As calm as she could be she says, just try it. I look at Muse....Okay then. I wait for the signal. I lift....and nothing. I let go of the bar and walk away. I was happy it was over. I was happy I had finished in the 13 minutes. I was happy I could relax.

No comments: