Wednesday, June 27, 2012

New and uncharted coffee adventures

In a nutritional meeting I had last week I was told about this new way to making my morning coffee not only paleo friendly but also better for the gut. And by gut I mean my intestines. Apparently drinking plain coffee which I had grown to love since discovering paleo was killing the villi in my small intestine causing future meals to not be fully taken advantage of and all those great nutrients to be absorbed. I was told to try this out.

Paleo underground:
Coffee
Grass-fed unsalted butter
Coconut oil

In a blender combine a spoonfull or so of each the butter and oil and half your cup of coffee.
(I say half because I do this at work and I brought the baby cup for my magic bullet and it won't hold my entire cup.)
Blend until light in color (I usually blend for a good 15 seconds)

Pour in cup and enjoy!

The combo of creamy butter and slight coconut flavor give it kind of a heavy latte sorta cappuccino feeling. I love it. Going to Starbucks and gettimg my peppermint misto was the best thing ever and I was sad when I had to give those up and only have them on occasion. It was a hard transition and took several tries to get used to straight up americano's with nothing in them but now that's all I ever get there. I wish Starbucks would carry Almond milk, then I could go back to the misto. Anyway, I was told I could put cocoa powder to kick it up a notch but I keep forgetting to bring it to work with me. I'll post an update on the mocha version when I remember.

1 comment:

melissa said...

But what I love about my Americano is the fact it has zero calories! This sounds....gross?? You'll have to show me how it's done once I move back.

And sorry I haven't written! Just busy...only a month left and I'll be back. Time flies!